June 26, 2009

Bib for baby unknown


My former coworker is going to be a grandma soon! This is the same woman who made me the perfect wedding dress. She and her daughter (and son) are very sweet women (and man), and we know how I like to gift things.

There is a very popular book out there called The Five Love Languages by Dr. Gary Chapman. I've never really figured out my language but my best guess is that it's gifts (rather than affirmation, quality time, acts of service, or touch) because I really, really, ridiculously like thinking of, making, and giving gifts - especially useful ones. And there's something very loving to me about getting something that time and effort was put into, or that just really represents you. That being said, I also have an appreciation for NOT giving or receiving too much STUFF, and the hubby and I are notoriously lax about celebrating birthdays and anniversaries.

ANYWAYS, this knit bib pattern is courtesy of Itchy McStitchy. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to line it. I figured it would protect all that cute baby clothing from messes a little better (even though I know very well that you could put a baby in a plastic haz-mat suit and it would still find ways to get messy).

My sewing machine hates me. It has nothing to do with my not knowing how to use it, or with it being forty years old, or with it needing oil and a good cleaning. I could not get the stitches to stick! It would either bunch or skip huge spaces. I tried all the settings and it finally worked when I changed the needle (??). Whatever. My corners looked like a horrific accident so I knitted little "accent" flaps to cover them. Sure, it's a little embarrassing that my professionally sewing coworker will see it. But she knows I'm a novice.

No comments: